Cult of the Black Jaguar by J G Faherty

Cult of the Black Jaguar - JG Faherty

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A group of explorers travelling through the jungles of South America, hope to find the ancient city of Ah Puch. Once found, they are betrayed by their native guides and prepared as a sacrifice for the jaguar priestess, however one in the party has their own secrets which may save them.

There was too much going on in this read, it was trying to be too many things; adventure, romance, demons, mummies, shape shifters and cults. I found the flow of the story was quite jarring with everything being packed in. With it being such a short read it didn't get to spend a lot of time setting the story up enough to support so much content.

The romance and sexual aspects of the novella were distracting and unnecessary and could have been left out without impacting on the read. Character relationships weren't explored apart from Ethan and his mentor Heathcliff, I felt that some of the characters were superfluous to the storyline and it was hard to feel invested in any of their outcomes.

An okay read by an author that I will certainly read more of.