Red Sonja Volume One - Queen of Plagues

Red Sonja Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues - Walter Geovanni, Gail Simone

This volume starts out several years ago with Sonja being found in a gladiators fighting pit and being set free by the new ruling King. She was found with another female warrior, Annisia, and both were shown kindness by the King. Sonja returns to fulfil a blood debt she feels is owed and to help the city prepare for battle.

Her former fighting mate is at the helm of the invading army, she kills the king and declares that the plague has settled on the city including Sonja. She exiles Sonja to the wilderness to die and orders that no one is to enter or leave the city, leaving the inhabitants to die. With the help of her loyal bodyguards she fights the sickness but finds that there are worse enemies than Annisia and she is brought face to face with an evil she thought long gone.

I loved this series, I've now read quite a few issues with Red Sonja and the more I read about her the more I like her character. Getting a bit more backstory on her gives her more depth, she's more than just a hard drinking, wise cracking warrior, she is also compassionate and loyal, these are the qualities that made me like her so much. I'm even getting used to her rather questionable armour or lack of to be more precise.

The art itself is pretty stunning; beautiful, brightly coloured panels that show a lot of consistency with the drawing style. The fight and battle scenes have lots of energy and they are pretty brutal with the amount of gore that is displayed. There  is also a gallery of artwork at the back of the volume and lots of beautifully styled covers are displayed.

Fantastic volume, great art and a character that is becoming a favourite.