How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon - Cressida Cowell

Young Hiccup is to be initiated into his tribe but first he must capture, tame and train a dragon. Unfortunately he manages to capture the smallest most disobedient dragon out of the dragon caves, Toothless. When the initiation goes wrong it looks as though Hiccup will be banished, that is until a much bigger problem lands on the island of Berk.

I was pretty disappointed to find how different this story was to the movie but this soon changed as I got further into the story and saw it for it's own merits. Toothless is not nearly as cute as in the movie but he has his own cheeky charm and he does redeem himself after being pretty selfish and naughty for most of the book. Hiccup was a great character; likeable, brave and selfless, showcasing how brains are often far more important than brawn.

The illustrations didn't do much for me and I found it annoying how they would often appear in the middle of a sentence carried over to the next page. This was a bit jarring and the kindle content should have been laid out a lot better.

Overall a nice start to the series.