Darkness Rising by Brian Moreland

Darkness Rising - Brian Moreland

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

College janitor, Marty, has a dark past, he uses poetry to control the anger he feels at his traumatic and abusive childhood. He visits a local lake to recite his poetry and comes across three sadistic killers who have been hired to make snuff movies by a local mobster. Tragedy strikes and Marty calls up his protector Cerulean to help him right the wrongs that have been done to him.

I'm a big fan of revenge tales and this one was pretty great with the first half being exactly what I was expecting. The second half dealt more with his childhood, specifically what happened with his mum and dad and for me the story veered off a little and lost a bit of the pacing that had worked so well in the first half. The second half also worked in more of his relationship with college student Jennifer whom he is in love with, whilst touching I'm not sure how well it worked with the overall tone of the book and it felt a little disjoined. These are not big issues and I still enjoyed the read immensely.

The characterisation was good and for such a short read I think the author did a great job in fleshing out the main character, making him sympathetic and believable, I felt very much invested in seeing where the story would take him.

A fast paced read with plenty of gore and a story that surprised me in how it played out. I'd definitely recommend this to horror fans.