The Devil's Detective

The Devil's Detective: A Novel - Simon Kurt Unsworth

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Thomas Fool is one of hell's information men. He and two colleagues are sent to investigate crime committed in hell, whilst most of it is ignored a recent spate of murders has got the attention of hell's elite who are keen for Thomas to solve it at any cost.

Who is killing these young men and feasting on their souls, something powerful and old and not something that Thomas was expecting to find in hell. As he continues to dig out the truth he sets the wheels in motion on an uprising of hell's tormented souls who see him as a hero.

There is immense world building in this novel, so much so that at times it was difficult to get my head around so much information and put all the pieces of it together. I liked the bleak, noirish feel to the story although it was perhaps too bleak with no portions that were lighter to balance it out. A minor quibble as once I got into the 2nd half I greedily consumed chapters to get to the end of the story and the mystery.

I liked Thomas Fool although it also felt in a way that we only got to know a small amount about him, I would have liked to have known why he was in hell but part of the story is that no one knows why they are in hell. Although he felt a little one dimensional in the first third, I think he grew as a character once he started to be more confident in his role as an Information Man. I'd be keen to see where the author takes his character in the next book.

Due to the bleak and depressing story I can't say this book was 'enjoyable' but it was an excellent thriller, well written, fast paced and a superb 1st book in what I hope will be an ongoing series.