Season of the Wolf - Jeffrey J. Mariotte

Season of the Wolf - Jeffrey J. Mariotte

Alex Converse is a documentary film-maker who has traveled to Silver Gap to shoot a story on environmental issues. Whilst there, several wolf attacks occur as well as the disappearances of several woman. Alex becomes involved in the town's efforts to stop the attacks but the wolf's become emboldened and the townspeople find they are the hunted not the hunter.
There was a lot going on in this story and whilst a lot of it worked for me there were also plenty of unanswered questions on how everything was tied to the story. I thought the main character, Alex, was a decent enough guy but his environmental discussions became too self righteous at times. The parts that were almost supernatural in the story were good but should have been given more time to develop more. The serial killer side of the story was also good and provided some tense scenes but the ending to that was very anti-climatic, personally I would have enjoyed the wolf's to deal with the killer. Lastly, the wolves part of the story wasn't really explained, at all. It was never made clear why they suddenly started attacking and again whilst there were some great scenes with the wolves, the ending felt very anti-climatic.
The characters were fairly engaging, there were several that featured prominently in the story and there were several scenes, especially the husband and wife cabin scene, that were really well done and had me rooting for them to come through. Robbie was probably my favourite character but i felt that more could have been done with her.
The pacing was fairly fast and I thought the author's writing was excellent. My only real issues were that some aspects of the story needed more explanation and that the ending just fizzled out.