The Sinister Mr. Corpse - Jeff Strand

The Sinister Mr. Corpse - Jeff Strand

Stanley is a loser, nearing middle age with not much to show for it. After he dies in a freak accident, he is brought back to life on live TV and starts his second life as the Amazing Mr Corpse. He is now essentially owned by a corporation who are looking to cash in on his infamy, forcing him to do all manner of 'celebrity' appearances. When he begins to get cocky about his importance he is shown that a second death will be far more unpleasant than the first and that he was not the scientific miracle he thought he was but something far more sinister.
I enjoyed this one a lot, I'm a big fan of Strand and this one certainly didn't disappoint although I thought the main character wasn't as good as some in his other work. The ending was also slightly anti-climatic.
Strand uses this to lampoon celebrities who are famous for being famous, how they are viewed and the cult like status that some of them achieve for doing absolutely nothing. Stanley is a fairly talentless individual who soon begins to believe the hype of his own fame before it all goes wrong. Secondary characters were done well but for some reason none of the characters really resonated with me that strongly however the story itself was engaging, pulling several threads together at the end and gave me almost everything I come to expect in a Strand novel. As with most of his other work this was fast faced and darkly funny and whilst it's not my favourite it was still a fun read.